Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Surprising Source

Do you get Charlie-horses? I used to get leg cramps during Pilates because of lack of hydration or potassium. During a typical day I fill up my water bottle twice, giving me more than the recommended 64-ounces of water.

Let’s attack potassium consumption which is mutually beneficial to hydration. Somehow, I am not a fan of bananas because they seem too sweet to me and are normally larger than I care to eat. A shocking source was dried plums--prunes are a sweet treat to me and can be portioned more conveniently. To prevent boredom and to have a balanced diet, get your nutrition out of a variety of sources. Gotta love this chart

Quick Facts...
by J. Anderson, L. Young and E. Long
  • A diet low in potassium and high in sodium may be one of the factors that leads to high blood pressure.
  • Eating equal amounts of sodium and potassium is recommended.
  • Athletes involved in hard exercise may require larger quantities of potassium-rich foods.
  • Potassium is found in meats, milk, fruits and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment