Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What is it with 28?!?

Yes, that's how old I am as of May. There has been a lot of change, but all good from what I can tell. Hubby has the job, I have one in this economy, the dog is near perfect for us, our home hasn't burnt to the ground (even though it is worth much less in this market's value), we are making new friends...and there has been a lot of luxuries afforded to us.

Yet, I just feel "off" and for the first time am really having it settle in my head that I am getting OLD. Maybe it is because I am suffering through the early stages of a migraine while the barometric pressure goes haywire outside in 110 degree+ weather. Or because my knee is catching, clicking and popping out of place to the point where it makes me falter in my step...and that I now try to counterbalance age with a slew of vitamins. Trips to the gym are mandatory to keep the rest of my body from going south or getting so plump that my jeans have "muffin top." Plus I cut my hair off and I have to ask what was up with that?!? I want change, but damn normally the hair is reserved for extreme circumstances with me. Again, older.

Then there is the random trip out where I get called "mam" at the grocery store [cringe], my ID is not checked near as often when I buy a cocktail, happy hours consist of the newly 21-year-olds and I can't stand to listen to their party/binge stories. They start bragging in an oh-so-chipper voice about how excited they were to puke in a plant this weekend. Uh-oh...it happens, involuntarily my eyes roll back into my head and I drift away from that conversation...blah, blah, black.

The next thing you know I will be asking people to turn the music down and yelling at kids to get off my lawn! Okay, you caught me...I already do those things too. Happy 28th to all who share my pain.

1 comment:

  1. 28 is so close to 30..I think we start to realize that too quick once we turn 28..Although my funky age was 27..when I started to feel old and see all of the youth flaunting around me. Kids that I knew when I was a teenager are grown..Everyone else's kids are growing up and now my own are getting bigger. Once you have a few kids it goes that much fast..Sadly..

    But embrace it..I hear 40 is the new 20..Something else to work towards and make sure that I am rockin then!! :D

    ReplyDelete