Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Alice, tumbling down that rabbit hole...

Since I have the sniffles and am not going to the gym, I wanted to take this week and focus on food. Not just any food, every food that runs through my house and what is in it. Last year I started to read labels and count calories to see what my daily caloric intake was all about vs. expenditure via exercise that I added back into my routine.

This year it is knowing what is actually IN my food. You see, my brain has gotten stagnant and I am blaming my unhappiness on other elements in my life. So, instead of being just any bitch with boredom...I want to be the "skinny bitch in the kitch." Sunday I watched the movie Super Size Me, I expected it to gross me out and send me into some shock. --No, it was totally what I expected obese Americans gorging on cheap, available food --sadly predictable and a vicious cycle of food addiction.

Tonight I watched Food Inc. ---that is what has led the battle cry to start local. I was inspired by a local restaurant that was implemented into ASU ever since Curtis took me there for lunch. Engrained is all about local sustainability and being environmentally friendly while still serving the masses. I give them a proper nod of respect.

So bunny, look out below cause this little explorer is coming in!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! Do share with us what you find out. Thats one of the major reasons I like the clean eating books by Tosca Reno..I also follow her blog and check out her website:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I miss Engrained (and having lunch with the Kinney's). I am it complete agreement about being aware of what you are putting in your body. Brian recently read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. After hearing him talk about it I have made a concerted effort to rid our house of high fructose corn syrup. I think this is easier to do in Japan, which really has it figured out when it comes to buying local and staying fresh. You will love it when you visit!

    ReplyDelete