Friday, February 27, 2009

My Favorite Color is Purple

Superstitious people say bad luck comes in three’s and after this week, that makes me feel better. It was one of those weeks where my mind and my body were trying to live two different lives. From everything as little as my mind telling me I should wear gardening gloves before cutting that spiny bush. To my body telling me …nah, you’ll be fine. And then I was left with several minor lacerations and bug bites.

Incident #1:
Sunday during Phase II of a super spring cleaning I was moving the dog crate. Keep in mind our greyhound is 75 lbs and has a metal-grated puppy condo (more than just a little cubed plastic crate). As I pick up the crate to move it from in the house and back into the garage my mind says gee, that’s really heavy! My body says…quit the sniveling it is only a few more feet to limp over to our destination. Monday morning this resulted in me waking up and trying to stand up from bed, only to make it into an awkward ‘7’ configuration where my torso refused to go upright and parallel to my legs.

Incident #2:
Wednesday morning I ironed my pleated dress shirt for work in a rush, in an effort to not be late…again. While holding down one pleated portion with my left hand, my right hand waves out towards the end of the board to reach the iron handle. [sear –yell, curse] Nope, found the hot plate! Hell, that’s more effective than a cup of coffee to wake you up! This resulted in my thumb and index finger resting on a bed of ice that morning at my work station.

Incident #3:
In a move much like smashing a grape between two books --Thursday night I shut my hand in the door of my car! Yup, that topped my week off. There’s never a great explanation of stupid things that you do, however this one happened fast (as things do when they go wrong). My friend inside the car said something, my mind asked – what? My body had already told one hand to slam the back door shut, the other hand went out into the door jam to hear what she was saying. Last minute my mind said, that’s not what I meant to do! Too late. My body yelped in pain and I recoiled to release my index finger and my middle finger from the sealed back door. As I got into the car it was an adrenaline high until I kept driving and my passenger pointed out…you’re bleeding all over your car. Oh wonderful, the swelling/pulsing feeling was blood rhythmically leaving my body. When I dropped off my carpool buddy she brought me in and helped patch me up. My night ended with an ice pack on my hand…oh yeah, and did I mention it was the same right hand I burned yesterday?!?

Good thing my favorite color is purple…

No comments:

Post a Comment